Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sam's Sustainability Site



http://zarkweb.com/dm360/ss_v1/st/

The links don't work yet, I don't want them to link to different pages, but to different sections of the page (basically scrolls the page for you). So if any of you know that code please let me know. I think I need a way to explain to viewers how to read the graphs, so I'd like suggestions as to the best way to do that. Here's how the information should read:
  • Each module is a different way consumers can get music
  • The graphs represent the profit that the artists and the labels make
  • The title (i.e. "Self pressed CD") is the format
  • The subhead is what kind of format, or where it came from (i.e. "cdbaby.com" or "high end royalty deal")
  • The price that consumers pay for the product is to the right in the heading
  • The blue represents the profit that the artist makes from selling one format (one CD, track download, etc)
  • The gray represents the profit that the label makes from that one format
  • The modules at the bottom have no graphs because the profit is so minimal
I also want to add a feature where when you click on each module a square (or circle) will pop up and the size of the shape corresponds to how many formats (albums, track download) the artist has to sell to reach minimum wage. The modules closer to the top will be small shapes and the bottom modules will be enormous and almost taking up the whole screen.

Please ask questions, I know I can't explain things good. :/

4 comments:

  1. I'm liking this design so far. The color scheme works real well and I'm diggin' the font choice.

    I kind of went into your site blind without reading your explanations to see if I could figure it out. To be honest, I skipped over the first graph where it told me what the blue and white sections meant so I had to go back up to read that. Maybe you could pull that out as a key or just make the first graph a little more prominent (or maybe I'm a horrible reader)?

    I like the navigation and I think it would be neat to have some jQuery so that when you hover over a link it slides out to expose that blue like you have going on with the CD link right now.

    There's a part of me that really wants to know where the empty parts of the graphs are going. I don't want them to be a slice because then you'd just have a bunch of repetitive circles, but some indication of where that stuff is going would be cool. But yeah, don't ruin your Pacman shapes :)

    I would maybe bump the last two streaming graphs over to the right because you've started a real nice sort of snaking movement down the page that flattens out down there. But overall, this is lookin' spiffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! And to link within a page (or further down a page as you want to) Here's a site explaining it as well:http://www.echoecho.com/htmllinks08.htm

    ReplyDelete